Old April 8th 04, 02:13 PM
Stealth Pilot

On 8 Apr 2004 03:53:16 -0700, (Chris) wrote:

As I understand the technology, the resin really isn't that important
in the overall equation. Any bisphenol-A resin will generally work.
But the choice of hardner is crucial. Can someone help me understand
the chemistry here? Should I be looking at an amine based hardner, and
if so, which type?

Aromatic Amines
Aliphatic Amines
Cycloaliphatic Amines
Boron-Hydride Amines
etc.

Then there are "modified" versions of each of these, and they also
make and sell blends.

There are other types of hardners as well, and I don't understand
those either.

Can anyone tell me what a "normal" aviation grade expoxy resin
consists of? What about resources that will help me to understand this
so I can make an informed choice.

Thanks for any information.

Chris

Chris our resident plastics expert here in Perth is Charlie Urwin.

is the link to his enquiries email
http://www.fibreglass-resin-sales.com.au/frs/home.html
is his web presence. he is the guy in the chair.

I'm sure he'll answer any of your questions. he's been in the business
over 20 years.
mention that the guy with the tailwind recommended him. ;-)
Stealth Pilot
Australia