Old April 10th 04, 02:58 AM
Blueskies

Me thinks the 'panels' are riveted on semi-cured because in the good ol' days when resins cured they were brittle. These
are simply skins on the wing and they are not adhered via the resin; the resin is supposed to be slightly green to allow
it to conform to the airfoil without cracking.

Lay out the panels on a big piece of glass and it will be pin hole free when you pull it off. The panel can be trimmed
to size while still on the glass. How many layers of what kind of glass are used in the lay-up? How sharp is the
tightest bend?

--
Dan D.

..
"Corky Scott" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 15:37:51 GMT, Ernest Christley
wrote:

Corky Scott wrote:

Ernest, I'm not sure I understand the problem. Most kits that require
fiberglass supply the recommended type of resin. If you are doing
something other than buiding a kit, you could just look at what the
kits supply and use that, couldn't you?

Why is this so difficult? Are you designing your own airplane?

Thanks, Corky Scott

Hey, Corky! I believe you were involved in the most informative thread
I found as I was searching the archives of this group.

Let me see if I can convey a least part of my confusion. The Dyke Delta
JD-2 is a plans built craft...ie, no kit. The plans specify that the
composite wing skins be laid up on a flat table and then wrapped and
riveted to the stainless steel ribs before it is fully cured.

I'm at work, so don't have the plans in front of me, but the instruction
read something like:

The prototype uses polyester vinyl resin. Other types of resins are
available. Follow resin manufacturer's instructions.

May not be the exact wording, but that is the gist of it. John Dyke has
had a lot of problems over the years with the resin continuing to
shrink, exposing the weave, etc. So I want to avoid those problems.
That's the start of the confusion.

Ah, got it. The only suggestion I can make would be to speak to the
folks who supply the plans materials and see what type of resin they
are now offering. Perhaps it's different from the one originally
called for by John Dyke.

If that doesn't give you satisfaction, I think I'd speak to the
manufacturers of the various resin systems and ask the opinion of the
experts there. Explain what it is you are trying to do and why you
are asking for their opinion.

The covering process sounds complex: you have to allow the cloth to
semi cure, and then lay it one such that it bonds in place. Man, that
sounds like a narrow window.

Saw one of those things zipping by at a Waco fly-in in Ohio back in
'93 or so. It was FAST.

Corky Scott