Old November 13th 04, 12:59 AM
AES/newspost

In article Hw2ld.24237$V41.3744@attbi_s52,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Interesting, isn't it? The sarin find was reported by NPR's female
correspondent (whose name escapes me), who is embedded with a Marine unit in
Fallujah. I heard it myself on NPR's "All Things Considered," which airs in
the afternoons.

Now, it's no where to be found.

Either the report has been discredited, or it's being suppressed.

I heard the follow-up within the past 24 hours, probably on NRP, which
is where I think I heard the original report.

The original report from the female NRP reporter, as I recall hearing
it, was that troops entering some area had found containers which were
labelled in some way, in English, with the word Sarin, and that since
the troops who found this stuff didn't have the expertise to tell what
the contents were, more expert people were being brought in to assess
what it was.

The follow-up was that the materials were not sarin weapons but
protective gear for sarin weapons.

[Which, taken together, means that your final sentence above is
incorrect, right? -- that is, the original report, at least as I recall
it, was neither discredited nor is it being suppressed.]

[On the other hand, it's certainly an interesting question as to what
that particular stuff was doing there? Did Iraqis have it because they
either thought or knew that they or other Iraqi forces had sarin? (I
recall a report some time back claiming that certain captured or
interviewed Iraqi generals said that they didn't have chemical weapons
but believed that other Iraqi forces did.) Or did they have it because
they believed _we_ would use it? Or did outside insurgents bring the
stuff in from elsewhere? Will we ever know?]