Old December 13th 04, 10:34 AM
Cub Driver

On 7 Dec 2004 05:28:01 -0800, wrote:

However, check your local laws, most states have some rules about using
public roads as your own personal airstrip.

Some few years ago I was heli-skiing out of Valemount BC. This was
before the operator built a lodge; he was using a commercial motel.
The Huey parked overnight in a circle out front.

I flew up to Valemount in the back of a Piper Cub (J-4 or J-5, can't
rememer which). The local "FBO" came out to fuel it from a 55 gallon
drum in the back of a pickup. However long the airstrip was, it wasn't
long enough for the next plane to bring a client in. That was a
private twin of some sort.

So the Mounties closed off the highway in front of the Valemount
Motel. The plane landed and taxied into the motel parking lot. The
Mounties behaved as if this were all in the day's work.

Presumably the couple took off again the same way. They were from
Texas, and the girlfriend wore dark glasses and a shawl like Jackie
Onassis.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:
(put Cubdriver in subject line)