Old June 21st 09, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default Trig TT21 Transponder Thoughts?

Thanks, Darryl - I'm much more educated now on ADS-B, TCAS, TIS-B and
FIS-B than I was this morning!

All I need now is input from anyone who has a Trig TT21, especially
with regard to ease of use and reliability.

-John

On Jun 21, 4:55 pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
John

Correct. All ADS-B out requires an expensive certified GPS. That is an
issue for UAT and Mode-S/1090ES. There are people trying to change
this but it is a complex issue.

There is no requirement per-se to display the traffic on a TSO display
if the equipment is not permenently installed. IFR at the other
extreme is entirely another can of worms.

The Garmin 496 display for example that some vendors connect to just
use the legacy input defined for TIS-A on those devices. Most of that
TIS data should be easy to decode to display on PDA devices etc. We
will need soaring software vendors to support this. Since we don't
really want to be looking at the display we will also need those
vendors to impliment audible traffic alerts. That is not something
that a TIS-B receiver will normally do for you. Which is why I am
curious if somebody has got a Becker Mode-S hooked up in a glider to
do this.

BTW even ADS-B in only TIS-B receivers can have a GPS since they use
that to know where they are to output display data. Somewhere in the
reciever-display chain a GPS is needed.

Darryl

Darryl