Old March 23rd 04, 05:02 AM
Bruce A. Frank

When Teflon burns it creates the same problems as PVC.

David D Cowell wrote:

One good reason not to use it would be the PVC insulation. PVC when burned
gives off toxic fumes. Not the kind of thing you want in the cockpit at
altitude. I know you can't use PVC covered CAT 5 cable in common air
passages/ductwork like above ceiling tile because of this. We use "plenum"
cable that is Teflon coated I believe.

--
David D Cowell
Wildcat Computers, Inc.
clare @ snyder.on .ca wrote in message
I've come across a supply of wire at a reasonable price that I think I
want to use to wire my plane. It is NOT aircraft wire, but I have all
the spec on it. It is MTW (machine tool wire) AMW 1015/1230, FT1 and
VM1 rated. The 18 guage is 16 strand. Insulation is PVC (not
crosslinked) rated for -55 to 106C and 600 volts (1200 for
electronics) Some also has TEW rating.
It is wire designed for use in machine tool cabinets and appliances,
and is oil and fuel resistant.

Any reason not to use this? I have 3 colours of 18awg, 3 colours of
14awg, and 2 of 14awg. There is likely more available. It is non
tinned wire.

--
Bruce A. Frank, Editor "Ford 3.8/4.2L Engine and V-6 STOL
Homebuilt Aircraft Newsletter"

While trying to find the time to finish mine.