Old April 3rd 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Default KY197, KY 97 what's the Difference?

Roger wrote:

Actually all I need is to fix the orange/yellow plastic window over
the display. Some where in the past (before I purchased the Deb) I'd
guess some one used the wrong stuff to try and clean the window.
Combined with age that has rendered the plastic window almost opaque.
I wonder if the stuff they use to fix scratched plastic glasses would
work on that? Trying would certainly be cheaper than purchasing
another radio or even front panel. The KY197s are going for as much
on E-bay (yellow tagged) as a new KY97.

If the plastic window is all that is wrong with it, you're a lucky man.
Most old KY-97s have a problem with the LCD display going wacky (particularly
when the unit is cold). You have to push on the face of the radio to make it
read correctly. This is such a common problem that I'd shy away from a used
KY-97, unless I could verify that it was still fairly young.

If it's just the window plastic, you could just undo the two screws on each
side of the radio that hold the faceplate on. The plastic piece will fall
right out. It shouldn't be too hard to find something that'll work in there
(or maybe leave it out altogether).

Since my display went crazy, I decided to go with an ICOM IC-A200 as a
slide-in replacement. Pacific Coast Avionics was selling them for $800. Not
bad when you consider the price of a new KY-97A.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)