Old March 27th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kobra

Default Garmin GPSMAP 495

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote in message
Marco Leon wrote:
Like Piper and the Matrix, Garmin has stripped-out the expensive items in
the 496 and offering the 495 without weather and the automotive package
at $1,595 as opposed to the $2,395. I don't want to underestimate
Garmin's ability to price their products appropriately but I don't think
this is a winner. Essentially, you'd be paying +$400 for the SafeTaxi,
better processor, higher terrain resolution, asn AOPA directory.

To me, it doesn't seem like a big jump in capability over the 296 to
justify a 1/3 increase in cost. Maybe I'm just coming from the wrong
angle as an IFR flyer...

Marco

I agree that the drop should have been more than $400. But don't
undervalue that faster processor and 5x faster refresh rate.

I understood that the faster processer was only put in because of the higher
resolution maps. Therefore, it updates not much faster than the 396 with a
slower processor and lower res maps. I also understand the Panel Page is
the big winner of the faster processor and can almost be completely relied
on for a backup turn coordinator and DG.

Kobra