Old October 30th 03, 02:40 PM
Barnyard BOb --

Some years ago a company was building Ford engines for installation in
homebuilts. They did a couple of experiments of running the engine, with
a prop, without coolant. On both occasions the broken-in engines ran for
30+ minutes. Both stopped due to expansion of the pistons in the bores.
When the engines cooled the coolant systems were filled and the engines
started. Both ran and turned the prop at the same rpm. But also both
engine's head gaskets were shot and the metallurgy of both the heads and
the pistons had changed to the point of all having to be relegated to
the scrap pile. Crank and rod bearings were still in good condition.

Bruce A. Frank

What RPM?
What power level?

Unless producing realistic in-flight power....
is there value in this exercise beyond PR?

Barnyard BOb --

What PR? As I read it, if you're cooling system fails you basically have
enough time to set it down then you're looking at a new engine.

Eric

I sincerely and most humbly apologize.
My generosity was aimed to cut these defunct folks some slack.
However, I have no problem seeing it your way. g

Barnyard BOb --