Old December 31st 03, 04:53 PM
Scott M. Kozel

Dr. George O. Bizzigotti wrote:

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

Basically, the pilots need to get their masks on and get the plane down below
25,000' as rapidly as it can possibly be done. The descent to 10,000' can be made
a little more leisurely, but not much - there's always someone in the cattle
section who panicked and isn't wearing a mask.

One aspect that I have not seen addressed in this thread is the fact
that most oxygen systems can provide supplemental oxygen for a few
minutes only (I dimly recall figures like 3-5 minutes, but that may be
inaccurate). The pilots also need to get down to 10,000 feet within
that time before everyone's oxygen generators run out.

How could an SST like the Concorde get from cruising altitude down to
10,000 feet in 3-5 minutes?