Old August 16th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neal Pfeiffer

Default Becker vs Microair

Does anyone have any experience with the newer XCOM radio? I had a demo
at Oshkosh and it looked logical with reasonable performance and power
draw. It also has a repeater head, which would be nice for my
two-seater. Given all of the comments in this thread, its obvious that
reliablity is a key concern.

- from someone with an unnamed brand radio in for repair for that last
11 months, but that's another story -

...... Neal

Dixie Sierra wrote:
I've decided to give up on my Avionic Dittel and buy new. It's been a
good radio and has given many years of service, but I'd like some new
functionality.

Functionality is really at the heart of my dilemna. I've kind of
narrowed things down to Becker vs Microair (I've ruled out Walter
Dittel on price... everyone has a limit independent of reason). There
seems to be a broad consensus that the Becker is a more reliable
choice. However, the Microair seems to offer a number of superior
features.

1) Remote operation from a stick mounted toggle.
2) Dual scan beteween the active and standby freqs with the ability to
transmit on the active. (Becker also offers a scan option but it seems
to be cover far more freqs and the freqs covered can only be changed
by turning the radio off and on at least twice. Dual scan seems very
nice when flying XC in the vicinity of an active airport.)
3 Alpha descriptions of saved freqs.
4) Variable squelch (Becker has this, but not without turning the
radio off and on at least twice to make changes.)

So here I am... The Microair costs less and has "better" features. But
who cares if it doesn't work?

What to do? What to do?.. I think I'll fly with the handheld!

What am I missing? I'm sure there are many cosniderations that escape
me.

Doug