Old October 22nd 20, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden[_2_]

Default The Apology

There are situations where some overreact to an imagined slight or insult. This is not one of those situations.

Multiple long-standing members took the time to write to complain about an ad that troubled them. I think Soaring/SSA responded appropriately in responding.

What was socially acceptable in the past is not always acceptable today. I consider myself to be fairly enlightened. That said, over the years, I've managed to offend several female friends with insensitive remarks, and even lost one friend as a result. I didn't mean any harm. But these women were troubled enough to call me on it. I'm glad they explained why my remarks weren't appropriate because I didn't always "get it" and it allowed me to apologize and to try to improve.

The nearly universal response by the men on this thread is a perfect illustration of how far we have to go. Has political correctness gone too far? In some cases, yes. But those of us in the majority (and in soaring, men by far outnumber women) need to put a little effort into trying to understand why some of those in the minority might be offended by ads like this, not criticize and further insult them.

Chip Bearden
JB
SSA member since 1965