Old December 16th 04, 05:54 PM
Red Rider

"Tony Volk" wrote in message
SNIP----------
I'd forgotten about that series of engagements. You've told me about
them before. Thanks for the good comments guys. I'd be happy to hear

more,
but perhaps more subjective and interesting question is what's the most
memorable a-a waxing you've ever given (or gotten)? There's got to be

some
great stories about bagging an ace, or like you said Ed, taking out an

Eagle
in a Talon. Or a Scooter bagging a Hornet. Or even an Intruder or 'Vaark
getting the drop on someone! So let me grab you a pint, pull up a chair,
and let the bragging begin! "There I was..."

Tony

SNIP-----------

I wish I could remember the name of the guy driving the RA-5C (-10) that
shamelessly whipped a couple of F-4's one day, like he owned them. I can't
even remember all the details but it was something along the line of the
Vigi was at a low weight, optimum altitude, 40,000 feet or so, and he got
the drop on them. Evidently the two F-4's couldn't believe it was happening
to them and instead of splitting and catching the Vigi between them, they
both tried to turn and burn with him. He wore them out and wisely called it
off, about the time, the two F-4 drivers came to their senses and started
working to get the advantage.

One of my most memorable days, was on a routine flight from Key West, was
discovering a pair of Cuban MiG-21 out in front of us. Of course we weren't
allowed to shoot them down. But being out in the middle of nowhere, we
played for a little while and discovered that even though one of the pilots
was damn good, they weren't better than our F-8's. This was before Vietnam
and we still had a lot to learn about the 21. My CO told us on the quiet,
that Intell thought one of the pilots was a Soviet Major, and the other was
a Cuban Major and that both were instructors. That was supposed to be the
only reason they were willing to play tag.

Then there are the days I should forget, like the time I put out all the
lights in Southern California, or getting caught with the Admirals daughter
in the phone booth at the Trader Vics.

NAW, I wouldn't trade those memories for a new puppy for Christmas.

Red