Old October 16th 06, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
M[_1_]

Default Long term storage

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KIGM

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...22702&t=k&om=1

M wrote:
If you really willing to go that far to store your aircraft for 3
years, why not looking for a place at a very dry climate (SW desert)
for the storage? I'm sure there are some aircraft storage yards in the
desert that'll take your money and let you park your aircraft there for
3 years. May even be less than your hangar rent at Ohio.

JSBOUGHER wrote:
Hey all, long time lurker with a question. I just got an offer for a 3
yr posting far-far away (half a world actually, just heard they got
their first private aircraft). Anyway, looks like I'll be parking my
beloved Velocity for quite some time - not willing to sell her and
their are only a few I'd trust her with and leaving her with them
hasn't worked out. I plan to pull and hang the wings and have the
engine pulled, crated and pickled. What I don't know about is the
interior and avionics. I have a beautiful Garmin 430 and audio, a nice
JPI engine monitor, an ADI Pilot II with battery backup and some other
goodies. I also worry about mold issues with the interior. I live in
Ohio, so we see pretty big swings in temps/humidity. I've considered
paying a local teenager to pull/place a couple of the of the
rechargable humidity control do-dads to protect the interior, but
really worry about the avionics. Should I pull the stack and put it in
my parents basement? What about the AH, TC and DG, do their bearing go
bad if they sit for 3 years? Anything else I should be concerned about
or haven't considered? All thoughts welcomed.

Thanks,
Jeff