Old July 13th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Tina

Default Heart trouble

Warfarin is the genetic version of Coumadin. The anti coag clinics
around Duke University Hospital like to Rx Coumadin since they say its
results are a little more predictable -- fewer batch to batch
variations.

The INR test, which is used to measure the effectiveness of the
warfarin, can be be done with a finger stick drop of blood. If your
facility is doing a venipuncture, they are a bit outdated. Find
another anti coag clinic if your place has trouble finding a reliable
vein.

Warfarin is very good, BUT! You have to eat a fairly steady diet of
greens, you can't have a lot one week and none the next, the INR will
go all over the place.

Also, if you get a cold or start throwing up, or do some heavy
workouts that are uncommon, your INRs can really go from the useful
range (2 to 3, more or less) to 10 or more, and that's getting to
where you can have internal bleeding. Just be aware, if you suddenly
start bruising easily or bleeding a lot when you floss, or have black
stools, to go have your INR checked. Don't wait. Be really aware if
you suddenly change your diet. These things happen very rarely, the
chances are small that they will happen to you, but you want to be
aware and alert anyhow.

The data goes something like this: if you don't take an anti coagulant
like warfarin, your chances of stroking can be about 10 or 12% a year.
If you do take it, your chances are less than the average person of
your age and condition (which might be 3 or 5% a year). Oh, and
aspirin is only about a third as effective as warfarin.

The meds that are often suggested to control a-fib have some evidence
of working, at least for a while. Tikosyn, for example, seems to work
for many people for a couple of years.

A-fib becomes increasingly common as we age, it may not go away on
its own. Only in really bad cases will someone become light headed or
pass out. I don't know anything about FAA physicals but if you're
asymptomatic I'd guess the outlook would be good. You didn't even know
you had it until you took a routine EKG, right?.

One last thing. RF ablation (which may in the next decade become the
standard of care for a-fib) is done on an out patient basis at Duke.

Remember, I'm a non professional source of information, validate what
I say with your electrocardiologist. And by all means you should be
talking with one of those, and not a cardiologist. Although a
cardiologist can be helpful, it would be much better to deal with
someone who is more in tune with the electrophysology of your heart.

Tina