View Single Post
Old December 2nd 14, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts
external usenet poster

Default Friedrichshafen 2015. Then where to?

On Monday, December 1, 2014 3:32:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi. I am planning to attend to Aero Friedrichshafen 2015 (april, 15-18) and then spend about a week (or two...) around Stuttgart. Where can I fly gliders there? And what about the paperwork?
Thanks in advance!

Moure, A.

The German LBA will let you fly on an American Private Pilot Glider certificate with no tests and no limits as long as you have a valid medical. I did that for a year when stationed in Stuttgart. Just for fun, I eventually got an actual German Glider Pilot License (That's now on the way to becoming a real EASA piece of paper).

As far as I know, all of the flying around the Stuttgart area is club organized. You won't be able to solo w/o being a club member. Not likely to find any day memberships around there. There's a good vintage gliding group at Hahnweide (Superb place to fly, love it there, about 30 minutes east of Stuttgart). I can help put you in touch with a member if you'd like to pursue a flight in an antique.

There are two places I know of that do daily memberships in clubs that function as quasi-commercial places:

Wasserkuppe is neat because it's the birthplace of our sport. Aerotow only. (www.fliegerschule-wasserkuppe.de) I've flown here twice. Neat place, neat people. This is a 2-1/2 hour drive from Stuttgart. Rooms available w/in walking distance in either the former Reichssegelflugschule (Reich Gliding School) or one of two hotels.

Deutsche Alpensegelflugschule Unterwössen (www.dassu.de)has an electric winch. You can launch off the winch and jump into the Alps under the right conditions. Never flown here, but met some of the people. They are responsive to email, though slower in the winter. About 3 hours SE from Stuttgart, I think.

Both places are accessible by train with a bit of planning.

I speak German well enough to get power/glider certificates there (Written, oral, etc.), so I never worry about the language. I know there are no English issues at Wasserkuppe and I understand it's the same at DASSU. There's actually a guy at Wasserkuppe who's a graduate of the USAF Test Pilot School at Edwards AFB!

I'll be glad to put you in touch with members of my club. If you just want a ride (back seat) with someone or to fly with an instructor that can likely be worked out (You can fly D-registered gliders w/ the American ticket, but you can't be officially in the front seat with an instructor in the back unless you are a "registered flight student.") All but one of the club instructors speak excellent English. These are people I know personally/well.

I'll be glad to facilitate some sort of contact w/ the other two places, but the gain over doing it yourself is minor.

Hope this helps!

Terry