Old July 27th 16, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA (Results, reports, media...)

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 2:23:52 PM UTC+3, Sean wrote:
For some reason my GlideTrack app does not work. We can't figure it out. It used to work fine last week. Will spend more time today trying to get it going. I wish some others had more than Spot too. I regret not making Delorme and mobile mandatory. We are doing our best but that was a mistake.

Next year I think Spot trackers will simply not be allowed. They are useless. The delay is unacceptable for race viewers. The sport of soaring deserves more that Spot tracking (boring). I think all pilots must have 30 second Delorme and/or the mobile tracker moving forward.

As this is our first go at SGP, there are sure to be opportunities for improvement. Tracking is critical to any sailplane race (SGP or even SSA) in my opinion and needs significant work all around.

Yes, I agree.

I've watched both the first two races and it's basically impossible to understand who is leading from the tracker, given some of the update intervals.

It's great to watch DL and some others thermalling with well-defined circles, so 5 or 10 second updates would be nice (even if batched up and only sent once a minute).

And not everyone is sending altitudes, which just makes it absolutely impossible to understand whether being 10 km ahead of or behind the pack actually means anything.