Old July 28th 16, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Default FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA (Results, reports, media...)

Thanks Lane. Will try launching app closer to launch, 5 minutes or so now.

SGP USA Updates (interviews, podium, live tracking replay, photos, etc) for Race 3 are now available on Facebook SGP USA page and the FAI SGP YouTube channel.

We are all having an absolute ball here in Ionia. The SGP USA competitors are really enjoying the opportunity to truly race sailplanes head to head. It's really incredibly fun, exciting and highly competitive. I have to say the push to stay ahead of Garret Yesterday was heart pounding excitement and I am enjoying this racing more than any other sailplane event yet. Simply awesome.

The shorter race track yesterday (118 km, 2 knot lift to 4500) was a HUGE hit with the pilots (and spectators!). On one had, it was all that we could safely do yesterday given the forecast and frontal passage which accused at 4:45-5:15 pm. But on the other hand, the shorter 1 - 1.5 hour race hugely amplified every decision and was amazing to witness both tactically and strategically. The start was key, but patience also paid off as the gaggle pushed a bit to hard at times. As usual, the gaggle quickly exploded into numerous small groups and the leaders got away free. It was not one clump as many assume.

I really wish the trackers were more accurate too. This race in particular would have been amazing to watch live with accurate tracking, although I think our crack commentators are doing a great job with compensating for the known lag of the spot trackers, etc. Kudos to them for their great work. I could honestly see the short race track being television friendly (or at least internet broadcast friendly) similar to Americas cup World Series events.

Back to Ionia today, the weather here today is again challenging. Two stationary fronts are sitting N and S. A window to fly is possible. If this happens, we will likely try for another 100km minimum distance race. The SGP format makes these short races extremely fun. This sentiment was clearly unanimous among the smiling pilots yesterday. What a blast!!!

Sincerely,

Sean Fidler
7T - SGP Organizer