Old August 17th 04, 01:59 PM
SelwayKid

(John) wrote in message . com...
I've been hearing very contradicting statements about helicopeter
jobs.

Some sources say that there just aren't any and the ones that are
there are very low. Say 20-30k a year. However, other sources claim
that pilots are becoming scarce, and that new pilots aren't coming
along quick enough to replace the vietnam era pilots as they are
retiring. Also that starting salaries are around 30-50k depending on
your source. And many sources i've found say the avg. helicopter
salary is 100k.

So what i would like to know is what does the job market look like,
how easy/hard is it to get a job as a comercial helicopter pilot. And
how much do they pay?

If you are a helciopter pilot, why not share your story of what it
took to get where you are, and how much your salary happens to be.

It seems very difficult to find any reliable information about these
jobs.

Thanks,
JOHN

John
I've been a helicopter pilot since 1967 and have NEVER made more than
about 55K. I have over 8000 hours in helicopters and a total of
21,000+. My best money was doing crop dusting and I normally worked
about 8 months of the year. I got my start in fixed wing in the late
50's and have done damned near everything there is for a pilot to do
in general aviation. Sure there is going to be a pilot shortage simply
because no one wants to pay a new pilot much and can't get affordable
insurance for them. A few stick it out and end up with a career in the
cockpit. Some make good money, like 75-100K but they are very rare.
The majority will end up with closer to 50K regardless of what kind of
flying you do. Even now the best I can get is about 55K in spite of my
experience. I'd do it again too. I've been in some amazing places,
done some amazing things, worked with some amazing people, and lived
an amazing life. So much so that people don't believe half of what I
say. So, I don't often say much about it anymore. But when I see an
honest request for straight scoop, I tell it like I have seen it for
45 years.
ATP, SMELS, CFII/RAM, AIGI
Ol Shy & Bashful - FlyinRock