Old August 17th 04, 05:10 PM
steve

(John) wrote in message . com...
I've been hearing very contradicting statements about helicopeter
jobs.

Some sources say that there just aren't any and the ones that are
there are very low. Say 20-30k a year. However, other sources claim
that pilots are becoming scarce, and that new pilots aren't coming
along quick enough to replace the vietnam era pilots as they are
retiring. Also that starting salaries are around 30-50k depending on
your source. And many sources i've found say the avg. helicopter
salary is 100k.

So what i would like to know is what does the job market look like,
how easy/hard is it to get a job as a comercial helicopter pilot. And
how much do they pay?

If you are a helciopter pilot, why not share your story of what it
took to get where you are, and how much your salary happens to be.

It seems very difficult to find any reliable information about these
jobs.

Thanks,
JOHN

John, I too have been hearing the same 'stories' for the past few
years and have been waiting for the job floodgates to open. I have
been searching for a job flying for the past year. I have sent out
resume's, e-mails and made phone calls. If you look at the job
postings at several websites many want turbine time and some require
time in a particular model of aircraft - usually someting a low time
pilot does not have. I believe a large part of the problem is the
insurance companies. Companies that may or would like to hire low
timers cannot because they are fearful they will lose their insurance
- and the low timers can't get hired because they are low timers - an
insidious catch-22. For now it appears being a flight instructor is
the most open flying job. As for salaries, entry level at places I
have checked into is about 39k ~ 42k. If anyone else knows where these
'jobs' are don't keep it a secret let the rest of us know...just my
..02