Old October 16th 12, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cernauta

Default Qn: Italy, Ultralight aerotowing

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:50:41 -0700 (PDT), BergfalkeIV
wrote:

I am somewhat unclear about whether it applies to the preceding sentence(ultralight gliders) or in general.

to the preceding sentence.

The Virus SW 100, for example, is certified for heavy tows by the manufacturer, the LBA and is in series production, could that be used to tow "normal" gliders?

Yes, if it's registered as an aircraft (I-ABCD) and the pilot holds a
PPL with towing endorsment;
No, if as an ultralight (I-1234) under the Rule106 - DPR 133 (VDS,
Volo Diporto Sportivo, usually referred to as "ultralight flying"), no
matter what licence the pilot holds.

I guess some people are still occasionally towing gliders with
ultralights, probably because they have an agreement from an insurance
company. Nevertheless, this is outside the boundaries stated by the
rule, and if an accident happens, things might get very complicated in
the court.

It is also possible if it's registered in another EU country, but then
you might find serious problems when it comes to towing a glider used
for basic training with a pupil on board of the glider.

Vassilios

at 3Euro/lt for 100LL,
you can understand the motivation

of course.
There are certified conversion kits for Avgas on Robin dr400s, also.
The Aerospool Dynamic is an example of a widely used light towplane.
With the correct propeller and given it's not a difficult day, it can
run the job just as well as a Robin, with much lower costs.

From my point of view, and after my own direct few experiences, all
ultralights need some more power to tow gliders efficiently, reliably
and safely. I think some new engines of about 130 HP output have a
great potential. One of them is built in Italy, the MetalWork B22R
engine. http://www.mwfly.it/index_file/B22RAERO.htm (I have no
connection with them).

aldo cernezzi
www.voloavela.it