Old December 4th 05, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Basic Training Gliders

Derek Copeland wrote:

While a headrest may be an important
safety item in a car to protect you from whiplash in
a rear end shunt, I am still trying to work out in
what circumstances a glider might get rammed from behind?!!!!!!
Stupid F***ing Bureaucrats!

Perhaps the "Stupid F***ing Bureaucrat" saw the same video I saw at an
SSA convention: it showed the pilot dummy movement during a test crash
of a glider, with violent whiplash occurring. I then asked Gerhard
Waibel about the safety value of the headrest in Schleicher gliders, and
he told me it was very important. So, I retrieved the headrest for my
ASH 26 E from the basement and put it back in the glider!

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA