Old September 16th 06, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Cessna Cardinal 177 RG II v. Piper Arrow III (70s) v. Piper Arrow III (brand new)

Check out the Cardinal flyers online site

http://www.cardinalflyers.com/

They have alot of info on the RG, since the site is owned and operated
by 2 guys (Paul Milner and Keith Peterson) that each own an RG (Paul's
is turbo'd!). They are adamant that the gear is solid if rigged and
maintained correctly, and they have the data to prove that. All the
info you could possibly need for the landing gear and the rest of the
plane is available to members ($34/yr). Also, most RG owners report
140-145 kts cruise @ 75%.

Bud

wrote:
Newps wrote:
wrote:

Also the Arrow is, in my experience, friendlier in turbulence, don't
get me wrong, the Cardinal is a great plane but I would "prefer" an
Arrow after looking at all the details right now.

I wouldn't touch a Cessna RG with a 10 foot pole. For that reason alone
go with the Arrow. The Cessna retractable gear is poorly designed and
will cause you problems.

But if I do touch an C177RG with a ten foot pole... doesn't that put me
right under the wing?

On a serious note... why is it a poor system, the RG II I've been
flying has never given the hint of a bad system, no leaks, no
hesitation no nothing, and a engenious emergency extention system to
boot.