Old March 28th 20, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Soaring already DOA for the season???

Looking at the present crisis in NYC, the government there rolled out contact-restrictions much too slowly.

It seems silly to take my cues as to what is presently safe and appropriate behavior from a foot-dragging government that has a conflicted agenda.

To draw a parallel with flying, following the FAR perfectly does not make you safe. To manage risk, you need to make your own go/no_go decisions and set your own 'personal minimums'. Rules that are perceived to be too restrictive may be disregarded (at least by glider pilots). Likewise with contact-restrictions.

I bought an N100 mask a year ago. I wore it on an 18 hour commercial flight last Monday-Tuesday (26 hours door to door with layovers). I'm pretty sure that everyone will be asked to wear a mask when there enough to go around..