Old March 28th 20, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Soaring already DOA for the season???

We can fly in New Mexico.Â* I have a self launcher and need not see
another person.Â* If I have an accident, that's on me (over 47 years
without an accident).Â* (Un)fortunately, the weather is not to my liking.

On 3/28/2020 9:05 AM, wrote:
In my country, there is currently one confirmed corona case per 5000

In the US, 300M/100k is one per 3000, but to get there, it has been increasing at a steady 1.3 per day for the last 4 weeks. It seems clear that in some parts of the country, we need to do considerably more.

Dave's second link has a lot of guesses instead of real data, but seems refreshingly logically consistent in terms of a plan.

In short, 1.3 needs to be below 0.5 for a few weeks, then maybe .9 until there is a vaccine. Getting to 0.5 would require significant limits like one trip outside per household every few days. Social distancing with two way masks (N95 protect only the wearer) and a new social norm of situational awareness and sanitation.

In this world, unnecessary extra risk factors like flying are not even on the table until the 0.9 stage.

The only hope would be that there are verifiable, drastically different stats in some parts of the country which puts them in the 0.9 stage already.

I'd like to see a more optimistic logical prognosis so I can go flying, but what is coming from the Whitehouse seems the reverse.

--
Dan, 5J