Old March 29th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default HpH 304CZ as first sailplane

Udo,

Not sure who you're referring to or just what a "Money driver" is.

I came up with the 15 hours WAG because it would allow enough time in our
conditions for two or three cross-countries and some pattern work. Compared
to the cost of ownership, particularly of a new sailplane, the cost of
flying dual with an instructor would not be all that much greater.

In the area that our questioner plans to fly, strong conditions and limited
landout choices suggest the utility of the dual approach. I've flown with
Karl (in a Blanik) and agree that it's a spectacular learning experience,
but, IMHO more useful with some cross-country experience already in hand. I
suspect that KS would agree. Flying in the Seniors with KS, Tom Knauff or
DJ would accomplish much the same.

Ray Warshaw
1LK

"Udo Rumpf" wrote in message
.. .
Ray,
the man is a Money driver I would say that ship has a complexity factor
much higher then a 304.
Beside not every one needs that level of training.
Now I do recommend dual cross country exposure before one starts racing as
this cuts the learning curve dramatically.
Contact Karl Striedieck and make an appointment now here you can learn
something real quick.
Udo

Not exactly responsive to your question, but don't go directly from the
2-33 to glass with flaps and retracts. There are a number of operations
around the country with glass two-seaters with retractable gear and
spending 15-20 hours with an instructor in one of these will make the
transition both easier and safer. Dual cross-country is a marvelous
learning technique. On our coast, Caracole, Williams and others have Duo
Discii, Great Western a DG505, and Warner Springs a Stemme, no less. I
think the west coast DG dealer has a DG-1000. Estrella has Grobs and an
MDM Fox.

Time spent in these aircraft with really good instructors will also give
you a better framework for choosing a glider. I loved the first single
seat glider I flew, but I wouldn't be happy with it now.

Adequate time spent with a good instructor in one of these ships will,
IMHO, make the transition both safer and more satisfying. Let the
instructor inform the decision as to when you're ready to go it alone.
Also, don't rule out a good used aircraft as your first ship. As long
as you spring for a thorough prebuy inspection by a sailplane savvy A&P,
they provide a lot for the money and tend to maintain their value. Marty
Eiler at Caracole does prebuy inspections using a multipage checklist
that's worth every penny. Robert Mudd in Moriarity, NM provides a
similar service. I'm sure there are others. A good reason for having
the prebuy done by an A&P is that he/she can provide an estimate of the
cost of needed (or just wanted) repairs as part of the process.

Ray Warshaw
1LK