Old March 29th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default HpH 304CZ as first sailplane

Raphael Warshaw wrote:
Udo,

Not sure who you're referring to or just what a "Money driver" is.

I came up with the 15 hours WAG because it would allow enough time in our
conditions for two or three cross-countries and some pattern work. Compared
to the cost of ownership, particularly of a new sailplane, the cost of
flying dual with an instructor would not be all that much greater.

In the area that our questioner plans to fly, strong conditions and limited
landout choices suggest the utility of the dual approach. I've flown with
Karl (in a Blanik) and agree that it's a spectacular learning experience,
but, IMHO more useful with some cross-country experience already in hand. I
suspect that KS would agree. Flying in the Seniors with KS, Tom Knauff or
DJ would accomplish much the same.

Ray Warshaw
1LK

I flew 2 flights with KS at the Parowan Nationals last summer. Maybe it
was just me, but watching him was not a good learning experience. It is
like watching the cam over the driver's shoulder at the Indianapolis 500
-- that won't help you at all if you try to drive one of those cars.
For me, at least, I would need to be the one flying, with someone in the
back seat telling me what I was doing wrong. Not to say that it wasn't
a great experience -- it was, but just not one that would help me with
my flying.

I transitioned to an LS-3 after 30 Blanik hours (no other flying
experience), and in preparation took some dual time in the only "high
performance" glider that was available (a 2-place Lark). It retrospect,
it would have been good to have some time in a glider like a Duo Discus.
So I think Ray is on the right track here.