Old May 31st 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Continental E-225-4 question

You guys running these engines are surely aware of the Am Bonanza
Society's Lew Gage articles? They have a wealth of info.

And if you are running one, YOU need to be the expert!!

Bill Hale BPPP instructor

On May 30, 7:21 pm, Gary wrote:
Jim,
You're welcome. Sounds like the biggest hurdle, namely the prop,
has already been taken care of. I'm guessing it is set up for
constant speed with a Hartzell A-1B/C governor. If so you should
already have a tee drive on the LH side in tandem with the fuel pump,
either a Romec RD7790 or a Thompson TF1900. If you have the Thompson
watch out for the drive pin which should be inspected periodically for
wear. When they finally go the engine gets very quiet :^). The
bottom ends on these engines are pretty tough. If you have good oil
pressure (e.g. 40-50psi hot cruise, 10-15psi hot idle) then it should
make TBO and perhaps beyond.

Gary Plewa

On May 30, 7:49 pm, "Jim Carter" wrote:

Gary,

The prop has been replaced with a Hartzell HCAZMV20-4A1 already, which
should eliminate AD 97-18-02. I should have included that in my original
post. Other than that, I surmise from your post that...

1) shortage of accessory drives may be a problem,
2) the starter will be expensive to repair,
3) the generator may be insufficient if I need more current draw than 35
Amps,
4) it will need to be topped in another 400 hours or so (but then it will
probably be run out also won't it? 1800 SMOH)
5) low power, rich of peak will be best for longer term operation.

This is currently in an aircraft that doesn't have too much else at risk, so
the engine seems to be my biggest concern right now. Vref is showing $26,000
for a major on an IO-470 so I'm taking that into account.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

--
Jim Carter