Old December 7th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Trouble Getting Hotel Room For SSA Convention

On Dec 5, 7:57 pm, John Murphy wrote:
About a week ago I tried to get a hotel room at the Doubletree during
the SSA convention. I asked for the SSA special price and was told
that they had no records of the SSA or any special room rates. They
quoted me a rate of $159.00. I then called back this morning and the
reservation agent told me that they had a block of rooms for the SSA,
but they were all sold out, and that the entire hotel was sold out
during the convention dates. She tried to book me at the Embassy
Suites, which is owned by the same company, and which was
significantly more expensive than the $99.00 SSA special price. I
declined. I called back this afternoon just to check, and they had
rooms at the SSA price. I booked immediately.

I just wanted to let you all know about the problems so you didn't
give up the first time you called the Doubletree. I'm not sure what
the problem is on their end, but they seem to be really disorganized.

Things are in a bit of disarray with the convention.
1. I talked with someone at the ALBQ Chamber of Commerce, and
appearantly, the American Bowling Congress is meeting at the same
place at the same time, as they do every year on that date, and as
there are a zillion bowlers, they fill Albuquerque to the rafters for
this event. Squeezing in a small group like us at that time is a
challenge.
2. Apparantly, SSA didn't know, or remember, this when they picked
ALBQ for the event on this weekend.
3. In talking with some folks in ALBQ, there seems to be quite a bit
of tension between SSA and the local club. Rather than discussing
THAT 2nd hand, I'd advise anyone interested in looking into that to
contact someone they know in ALBQ.
4. I ran into the same problems as John, but did perservere, and did
manage to get a reservation.

I'd really like to have gotten to the convention last year, but chose
not to have to get a 2nd mortgage to pay for plane tickets to it from
Phoenix. Southwest makes it far cheaper this year. See you there.
Bob T.
19