Old December 8th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Trouble Getting Hotel Room For SSA Convention

On Dec 8, 8:34 am, wrote:
I think we should just plan on towing one of our trailers down there
to sleep in. I've got that travel trailer but the glider trailers are
a LOT more aerodynamic.

Your Cherokee trailer is HUGE. We can stop by Salvation Army stores
on the way down and buy a bunch of mattresses. We could rent out beds
for $10/night and actually make enough to pay our gas! I bet we could
sleep 20 people in there. Heck, we could make enough to pay for a
room in the doubletree!

Why didn't I think of this before?

Matt Michael

On Dec 6, 9:48 am, wrote:

On Dec 5, 8:57 pm, John Murphy wrote:

About a week ago I tried to get a hotel room at the Doubletree during
the SSA convention. I asked for the SSA special price and was told
that they had no records of the SSA or any special room rates. They
quoted me a rate of $159.00. I then called back this morning and the
reservation agent told me that they had a block of rooms for the SSA,
but they were all sold out, and that the entire hotel was sold out
during the convention dates. She tried to book me at the Embassy
Suites, which is owned by the same company, and which was
significantly more expensive than the $99.00 SSA special price. I
declined. I called back this afternoon just to check, and they had
rooms at the SSA price. I booked immediately.

I just wanted to let you all know about the problems so you didn't
give up the first time you called the Doubletree. I'm not sure what
the problem is on their end, but they seem to be really disorganized.

Burt Compton will be there with his DG-1000. I wonder if I could rent
out one of the seats from him and just sleep in the convention
center. do the seats recline?

maybe i could just pack an air mattress and find an empty glider
trailer somewhere.

yo campers, though I like the trailer idea, there are rooms at local
motels from $38.71 to $60.00/night during that period. however, event
parking at the convention center is $6.00/vehicle with no in/out
privileges if you're outside of walking distance. 3-4 to a room and
it's practically free;^) hopefully, no one snores like an M-2.

I just noticed this on the Doubletree web site;^(
"The hotel is currently undergoing a multi million dollar renovation.
Thank you for your patience as we improve our property for your next
visit!"

Hope that's done before the convention. Due to logistics, I'm sharing
a room in the convention hotel. My roommate reserved the room without
problems a couple of days ago. In Memphis, the hotel charged a daily
rate for parking AND for Internet access/telephone package. In
Atlanta, our room didn't have high-speed Internet, so I had to use my
national dialup access. Those local calls were $1 each.

Doubletree says the HS Internet in the rooms is included. I don't
know if that includes the WiFi in the other areas. No where on the
web site does it say 'free' Internet, too tacky. Parking is $10/
night. At the 1997 convention, we stayed elsewhere and the walk was
cold and windy, and wet once as I recall. Did the same in Ontario and
got damp there too. But that's all part of the fun.

Frank Whiteley