View Single Post
Old February 17th 18, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

Default Minimum number of flights for winch sign off?

On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 2:44:58 PM UTC-6, Charles Longley wrote:
Correct airline pilot also A&P/ IA.

I don’t have an issue with winch tows persay other then the relatively low altitude they get you to. Wouldn’t really work where I am at.

The issue I have is the typical lash up they have in the US and the qualification of the winch operator not to mention the maintenance of the winch.

Ok. Sorry I probably came off as a bit of a dick - not intended; but I do find that aviation background seems to have a lot to do with perceived risk/reward in soaring.

I come from a military fighter background - having learned to fly in High School, so tend to see the risks in soaring from a very different perspective. Edge of the envelope is what it is all about, by it's very nature, and that is why it appeals to me; skill, currency, knowledge, training, all need to be up to the task.

Just like most power pilots will say "why would anyone fly without an engine - that's nuts!", without any winch experience the natural response from someone trained in a highly structured, "middle of the envelope" flying environment" would be "that looks dangerous, what if the winch quits or fails in some way. But the non-intuitive answer is that during a winch launch, the pilot is totally in control of the safety of the launch at all times, and can always make a safe landing! Too slow - release and land straight ahead.. Too fast, dump the nose or release. Cable break, dump the nose and land. Erratic launch by a weak winch or new operator - release and land.

OTOH - aero tows can develop into an unsafe situation without the glider pilot being able to do much about it: loss of power right after takeoff over unlandable terrain; tow pilot determined to take you downwind in a 2-33; slow tow when you are ballasted to the max, etc...

Then there are the ways glider pilots try to kill tow pilots! Hard to hurt a winch launch operator unless you crash on the winch.

Kirk