Old October 19th 04, 03:08 PM
Jim Burns

Here's what we found this summer when insureing our Aztec. $90,000 hull,
$1mil / $100,000
3 pilots, equal ownership
1) Commercial, SEL, MEL, SES, IA, 1500TT, 1200tail, 40multi, 90complex &
high performance
2) Commercial, SEL, MEL, IA, CFII 500TT, 50tail, 15multi, 275complex & high
performance
3) Private, SEL, MEL, IA 250TT, 15multi, 50complex & high performance

AIG wouldn't rate us due to the Private pilot's low total time, they wanted
500hoursTT, without the private pilot they would cover #1 and #2 for $3600
per year
Avemco wanted $6500 per year
Global wouldn't quote us at all, they said they didn't do step up policies.
London wouldn't quote us, they said they didn't do step up policies.

We ended up going with a company (who's name excapes me) that required the
private pilot to get 25 hours Multi instruction, then 10 hours solo before
passengers. Rate is $4200 per year, BUT there is a $10,000 deductible for
any kind of gear up or gear failure accident. Additionally insured pilots
clause requires 500hours multi time with 50 in make/model.

While shopping, we were told that Aztecs are one of the underwriters
favorite twins to insure. Plenty of power, but not TOO much, non
turbocharged, a big fat wing, and a huge useful load, and a sturdy airframe.
It could be that once you say "Seneca" that they lump all models together
and automatically think "turboed". Just a guess. I would think that the
310 would require higher times due to it's more complex gear and fuel
systems and it's higher speed and faster wing. Maybe that particular
company has a high claim ratio on Senecas and a low claim ratio on 310's?

We recieved several strange comments from the underwriters. One said the
high rate was due to the model PA-23, which is also an Apache, which they
hate due to the small engines and ability to overload it with 4 adults.
Some underwriters were willing to recognize the differance but still gave us
make/model time credit for our Apache time.

Doubt if this helps, but that is what we ran into.

Jim

---