Old September 16th 09, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Default XCSoar opinion

"Andres" wrote in message ...
I'm getting into XC flying and I would like to get opinions on the use
of XCSoar for navigation. Is it useful, reliable, is it worth using
etc? Thanks in advance.

This is my first year trying XCSoar. I had previously been using Glide Navigator II, which I liked due to its' simplicity, in conjunction with a Garmin GPS and Compaq 1550. However, Glide Navigator does not support tmy recently purchased B-50 vario system.

Initial installation of XCSoar was a bit cumbersome. It provides so many setup options. This allows the user to customize the feature and display to what they consider important to the way they fly. One thing that became apparent is that XCSoar's display is best suited for a color PDA. However, it is usable on the Compaq 1550 if the contrast is adjusted properly.

Due the the memory and processor limitation of the 1550, I have not attempted to use the map options. However, it should be pointed out that Glide Navigator II doesn't even have a map option.

Worth using? It has all the XC flying function I used when running Glider Navigator II and you can't beat the price.