Old May 8th 21, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_2_]

Default Two Seat Cobra Trailer Tire Replacement

On Saturday, 8 May 2021 at 16:22:17 UTC+1, Robert Seccombe BE wrote:
On our single axle two place glider trailer I destroyed the two original tires that were on it when I acquired it. One was just a cut in the sidewall that I discovered while parked. The other was a total failure while on the highway; and I wasn't aware of it but for another driver alerting me. The tire was completely missing and the rim was destroyed; this while towing behind a 21' class C. The replacement wheel and tire were from W&W. Though it does seem to tow somewhat better with the newer tires, I have never been happy with the way this trailer tows and I am seriously considering adding a second axle. The Airforce Duo Discus trailers are duel axle.

Having had previous experience of one trailer losing a wheel and another having a dramatic tyre destruction, when we got a Duo with a Cobra trailer I over-ruled advice from Cobra and insisted on specifying the dual axle option. I came to regret this, partly because of the difficulty in hand manoeuvring it but mainly because the trailer, having a level it wanted to maintain that was not what the vehicle hitch wanted, tended to nod during towing.. Keeping the front axle tyres a little less inflated than the rear ones helped but did not eliminate this. It may have been more comfortable if the tow car did not have self-levelling suspension but I sold out of the glider before I sold the car.