Old May 10th 21, 08:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Default Two Seat Cobra Trailer Tire Replacement

The scrubbing action greatlyenhances stability againts swaying.
I have driven my twin-axle Catley trailer for 15 years, and it has been absolutely great, and the stablest trailer I have ever seen.

Le lundi 10 mai 2021 Ã* 07:41:50 UTC+2, 2G a écritÂ*:
Trailers are designed with tandem axles because one axle can't carry the load of the trailer, not to provide greater stability. When turning while pulling a tandem the axles are not aligned with the center of rotation - they can't be because the axles are parallel. The tires want to go in a different direction than the rotation of the turn and must, to some degree, scrub to make the turn. This is why maneuvering them by hand is so difficult. The same thing is happening when being towed but the power of the tow vehicle forces the tires in the direction of the turn. This scrubbing action deteriorates stability, not enhances it.

Tom