Old March 30th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Propellers

On 28 Mar 2006 14:41:50 -0800, "
wrote:

I want to run my engine (ford v-6) this summer for various tests and I
want some sort of prop. What do most people use for props when testing
at this stage? I was thinking of glueing together 2 or 3 fir 2x6's or
using a laminate beam (leftovers from a remodeling project) and carving
some airfoil shape. Seems like it should work if it is balanced. Of
course I don't want to sling a blade down the taxiway or through my
neighbors hangar door. Anybody offer some suggestions? Thanks.

David Woolery

When I was ready to test my Ford V6, I bit the bullet and bought an
IVO Magnum prop. It's ground adjustable and all three blades adjust
simultaneously by cranking a large threaded cylinder in the hub. That
way you can flatten out the pitch so that the engine revs up to it's
maximum rpm while not moving.

I was unable to get the engine to rev past about 3,100 rpm without
repitching from the initial setting. I was reluctant to hold that
power setting for very long anyway as I was basically blowing things
off the walls behind me in the car port, and the prop was sucking sand
off the driveway and pitting the prop tips.

Corky Scott