Old June 4th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Gee, I'm sorry that I didn't write out all the details, but
my memory is accurate. I have no guilt or expectations.
The reporter had been on assignment in Africa and was very
glad he didn't have to live there.

Keith Richburg
http://capmag.com/article.asp?id=799

Yes, Richburg says he is glad his ancestors came to America. But that is not
the same as his being glad they were enslaved (even if that is in fact how
they got here).

As I pointed out earlier, a Jewish person might similarly be glad his
ancestors ended up in America, but without thereby being grateful for the
holocaust that forced their migration. There's a *huge* difference.

It would be monstrous for a person to be glad that a massive atrocity
occurred just because, as a side effect, it left him personally better off
than he believes he otherwise would have been (not to mention that the
comparison is nonsensical--if history had gone differently than it actually
did, then no one would exist who actually exists now; there'd be an entirely
different set of people).

Above all, what's astonishing is for someone here to *approvingly* cite that
inaccurately-recalled monstrous sentiment while trying to defend the
extremist right-wing position that America was a "free country" until 1864
but not afterward.

--Gary