Old May 8th 19, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default GliderLink - New team soaring app for airborne location sharing

On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 9:43:14 PM UTC-4, Tom BravoMike wrote:
(…)

Looking forward to some actual buddy flying with it. Anybody else using it?

Exactly, finding a buddy interested in trying out useful gadgets like this one is the issue for me. Ionia, Michigan.

I've had some people tell me that if you want to buddy-fly you should stay within visual range. I think there are different types of buddy flying possible, which this technology makes easier. E.g., I'll look for lift on this ridge, you check out that other ridge 3 miles away, then we'll rendezvous again wherever the lift is better. Another issue is the distraction of having to look at yet another screen. I wish it was integrated with the glide computer that I am using anyway, but not there yet*. I expect to only look at it occasionally when needing to find each other. And if I am planting the device in a glider with a less experienced pilot, for a "mentoring" flight, my plan is to put it out of reach behind that pilot's seat, thus no distraction - I'll be the one finding them. Anyway that's the theory, to be tried out soon.

*) I gather there is some sort of integration with XCsoar, but only if both are running within the same device. I use a Nook for Tophat (larger, higher-contrast screen) and a spare smartphone for GliderLink (new enough, unlike the Nook which is Android 2.x and no Bluetooth).