Old August 14th 19, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default What is the Current Pricing for Used Portable PowerFlarm? Anyoneselling theirs?

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 3:53:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Need input of current pricing of "Used" Portable PowerFlarm and availability. I fly our club gliders a lot and looking into the portable powerflarm devices so I may use in my glider as well.

I really am interested with the uAvionix SkyEcho (Portable ADS-B In/Out for 443 pounds) but no clue if it will ever be available to use in USA--

I bought (and sold) a used one several years ago. A few comments;

- To answer your question I have seen them going for $500-$700. I think I bought, and sold, mine for $500. New they are $2000+. Watch for them on RAS and http://glidersource.com.
- They are rather handy as they are portable.
- Their coverage isn't as good as compared to the PowerFLARM Core. Unsure why - power output or receiver sensitivity? My portable came with the FLARM B receive-only antenna (and license) which didn't seem to make much, or any, coverage enhancement. I even tried using a "standard" FLARM center-fed dipole antenna.
- Uses AA batteries, either rechargeable or not. Lasts about 8 hours. Better to power it externally from ship's power which is what I did. The issue is finding the correct barrel plug. First, the plug is TINY [0.70mm ID (0..028"), 2.35mm OD (0.093")] as compared to the more commonly available barrel plug sizes. Second, I used the even tougher to find 90° version to make it fit properly around the "rubber duckie" ADS-B antenna without which the ADS-B antenna tilted over quite a bit (vertical orientation is important for coverage).
- Almost by definition this unit will be mounted on the instrument panel's glare shield. Most often this is done with hook and loop fasteners (AKA Velcro). Please read what the FAA has to say about using Velcro plus my thoughts on the subject in my presentation (on slide #102) found at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations/#wiring.
- Never did get the optional audio out to work (and I had that license).

That's enough for now. My $0.02. YMMV.

Enjoy, John OHM Ω