Old October 14th 04, 07:50 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Julian Scarfe wrote:
Repeat for other departure airports of interest. Processing time for one
departure airport for my network was about 30s on a fairly typical desktop
machine. YMMV, literally. ;-)

I think you can do better than that by ordering your edges better. You
know more than just edge costs, you also have coordinates for each node.
You can choose to explore edges that move you closer to the destination
first.

IIRC, the key to making Dijkstra fast is to find a solution as early as
possible. That establishes a baseline cost that allows massive pruning
of the search space.

least-cost routes. But now we're doing that for *every* flight, which means
that we wait for both steps of the processing (edge costs + Dijkstra)
instead of doing a database lookup on stuff that's run once a month.

Right. But if I'm going to do the work then I want it to calculate all
of the factors that I would, given infinite time and patience on my part.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/