Old June 9th 09, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Default Trailer Suspension

Tony Condon wrote:
I'm considering replacing the axle/suspension for the trailer on the
Cherokee. Reskinning the trailer after windstorm damage has devolved into
rebuilding the trailer. I'm sure you all know how that goes.

I've been looking at the Rubber Torsional axles and I'm curious what the
opinion of the group is. Does anyone have these on their glider trailers
currently? how is the ride? What about the durability? They really
aren't maintainable like a leaf spring would be. Any other opinions?

http://www.dexteraxle.com/torflex_axles

http://www.trailerpart.com/torsionaxles.htm

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y

Hi Tony

Torsion axles will give decades of excellent service.

My only caution is that they do tend to fail imperceptably, and are
basically "no user servicable parts". Some day you will notice that the
trailer is lower than it should be, and the suspension is kinda hard...

Then it is time for a new axle - Mine lasted 38 years but is in that
distressing "kinda hard" condition now.

The infinitely expanding scope maintenance project is endemic to
soaring. Just remember to fly in between bouts of the sickness.

Cheers
Bruce