Old August 21st 14, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HGXC[_2_]

Default A proposal to increase membership, cross-country pilots,competitors,and world champions (USA).

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:01:36 AM UTC-4, Squeaky wrote:
Well, the post above is about bringing people to soaring, and while

there are plenty of facts, they do not support what we are seeing in VA

right now.

Since we have started an active Facebook and web presence, kept updated

with phots and videos, we have more new members and FAST applicants than

we can train with our existing instructors (...and that creates problems

on it's own). At a recent meeting of the Virginia Soaring Association

(VaSA), the other VA soraing clubs which have the same types of presence

are experiencing the same.

We do not have fancy trainers, just one each of a 2-33, Super Blanik and

PW-6, yet that has not seemed to put anyone off in the least. So it's

not always about selling the newest and best stuf.

The product is not the planes, or the facilities. Yes they need to be

adquate, but it's not the main issue. The product is the joy and

freedom of flight. The product is the challenge and art of staying

ariborne based on your own skills and experience. The product is the

thrill of venturing away from the aerodrome and gettting more than one

thermal from the field and still making it back. The product is

completing loops, rolls, tail slides, spins without an engine. The

product is joining up with a Bald Eagle and flying with a raptor for a

space of time. The product is hitting the road and flying in wave, or

down a ridge. The product is membership and belonging in a small unique

community and socializing with people who share your passion. The

product is the sense of fun, pride and satisfaction in becoming a pilot.

Sure, money does play a factor for many. But we are bringing in more

than we can handle right now, because there are always plenty of people

who do have enough to enjoy the sport of soaring--if they so choose.

It's just a matter of finding them, and letting them know about the

excitement, challenge, art, variety and various abilities of

sailplanes... the fun, excitment reward that is all part of the sport.

All that comes across well on social media, and with good FB, Twitter

and web page management. It brings new people in of all ages. Maybe

the kids will not stay as they go to college or start families. Some

will. But they are likely to come back. Getting them interested in

cross country hasn't been hard either, as our club encourages it, and

plays up OLC and logging flights all the time. It has worked. We don't

push competition, but we have competitors...

It's not as doom and gloom as many make out.

--

Squeaky

Couldn't agree more with Kevin and Squeaky. We need to convey the excitement and passion. The students will follow.

Dennis