Old January 15th 16, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default Derek Piggott, legendary aviator

Born To Fly. A film about an aviator's memory loss and the onset of dementia.

Not a happy topic but the subject of the interview is Derek Piggott, the legendary British glider instructor (a mentor of mine through his many books) and movie pilot (including "Those Magnificient Men and Their Flying Machines", "The Blue Max.")

Derek is now 93. He still flies gliders with a "co-pilot" at Lasham field southwest of London.
Maria in the film has been his companion for many years His dear friend and a lovely lady, she would escort him to the USA to attend our Soaring Society of America Conventions.

I first met Derek Piggott at Lasham one evening after a day of flying. He was sitting on the steps outside the airfield pub with a pint of beer in hand and very animated, telling stories of his aviation movie career to the attentive audience seated below him. I was in awe and when introduced to Mr. Piggott (as I called him but I was quickly admonished to please address him as "Derek") I was somewhat tongue-tied when thanking him for the mentoring he has given so many pilots around the world. Later in the USA I enjoyed talking with him (no, wisely listening to him and his stories) over dinners at the SSA Conventions. Still in awe but at this point I was able to carry on an intelligent conversation!

If you purchase any Derek Piggott books, start with the more recent "Gliding Safety." He has a practical writing style, not overly technical and easy to read.
It has a wonderful chapter of advice for flight instructors that is essential reading.

Derek promised to come fly with me at Marfa "someday" . . . he has not appeared yet . . . it's a long trip.

Burt Compton

Here is the link to the "Memory Team" film:
http://youtu.be/8-DM7-_Iy38

Watch it (pardon the tear in my eye) and then search on www.youtube.com for several older films about Derek's flying career.

Thanks to Gary Evans of Texas for sending this link.