Old July 3rd 03, 04:36 AM
Matthew G. Saroff

(ArtKramr) wrote:

"....... I'm going to die today......".

"I'm going to die today," he said. We had just left the briefing tent and Lt.
Jones (not his real name) walked along with me. His comment came as a shock.
"No you're not," I said. He shook his head in despair and choked out " I have a
wife and a kid and I'm know I'm going to die today and the war is almost over.
I'm not going to fly". I grabbed him by the arm hard. " Look, if you refuse to
fly you'll go to Leavenworth for 20 years. Then what will you wife and kid do?
Besides, today will probably be a milk run and you'll come back fine". I didn't
quite believe it, but I said it anyway. Now one of the 6x6's that takes crews
to the flight line pulled up. I pushed Jones toward it and boosted him in. He
flew the mission. The mission wasn't quite a milk run but we had no losses and
all came back fine. Jones never spoke to me again. Any time we met he would
avoid eye contact. If I were in the officers club he would either leave or sit
as far away as possible with his back to me. I guess he was just too
embarrassed about what he revealed. That incident only took two or three
minutes at the most. And I haven't thought about it since that day, until a
recent incident brought it to mind. I was always glad that I could help him
through a bad time. I wonder how Jones feels about that moment when he thinks
about it today?

I'm not a psychologist, but it sounds like some sort of
combat fatigue (Shell Shock). It happens, and there's nothing to
be ashamed of.
--
--Matthew Saroff
Rules to live by: