Old July 3rd 03, 08:11 PM
Stephen Harding

ArtKramr wrote:

I mention it here and on my website because I think it part of war and worth
mentioning. And human values are a good beak from the endless techy numbers
and statistics that grow rather quickly tiresome.

Context is everything!

Sitting here nice and comfy, perhaps worrying about finishing a project on
time or wondering what you want to do for the coming weekend, it is very
easy to be compassionate and patient with friends or acquaintances or actions.

In another context, patience and "compassion" might cost too much! Get more
into a "me or them" environment and see how much of a beast resides in all
of us!

We like to think social qualities have value irrespective of environment, and
perhaps they do, but when times are tough...really, really tough...a little
savagery may be what it takes to make it through the difficulties. Savage
in behavior or savage in psychology or both.

Lots of people now look on Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombings in entirely negative
terms. That largely wasn't the case in 1945 in the US and any country that
was going to have its people fighting in an invasion of the Japanese mainland.

Were the people of 1945 a lot more savage and brutal than we are today? I
doubt it. Just different contexts for making judgements.

SMH