Old January 24th 09, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
§ñühw¤£f[_2_]

Default Maxie begins a new kook-out.were.... Airliner crashes into Hudson River after LGA departure

Bob Officer pinched out a steaming pile
:

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:39:39 -0700, in alt.usenet.kooks, §ñühw¤£f
wrote:

In message , Bob Officer

wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:11:06 -0600, in alt.usenet.kooks, §ñühw¤£f
wrote:

Bob Officer pinched out a steaming pile
:

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:49:33 -0600, in alt.usenet.kooks, §ñühw¤£f
wrote:

Bob Officer pinched out a steaming pile
:

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:36:12 -0700, in alt.usenet.kooks,

§ñühw¤£f
wrote:

In message , Bob
Officer
wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:31:50 -0600, in alt.usenet.kooks,
§ñühw¤£f
wrote:

Bob Officer pinched out a steaming

pile
:

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 09:31:29 -0600, in alt.usenet.kooks,
§ñühw¤£f
wrote:

Bob Officer pinched out a steaming

pile
:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:20:16 +0000 (UTC), in
alt.usenet.kooks,
Bertie
the Bunyip wrote:

§ñühw¤£f wrote in

:

Bertie the Bunyip pinched out a
steaming
pile
:

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote in
:

§ñühw¤£f wrote:

I propose a technological solution to the problem

of
bird
strikes:
turboprops.
Lets return to the good old days pre-jet engines.

Well ... while the L-188 Lockheed Electra example

is a
turboprop,
the
above poster apparently didn't realize that a

turboprop
engine
has a
jet
engine.

Discuss.

The large piston engines were incredibly complex,

and
generally
could
drive airliners at only about half the speed of

those
with
the
pure
jet
engines.

yes, but they were so much more fun

Bertie

Ok ok...totally *genius* idea: dirigibles.

Excellent. I'll sign on for a course.

Yeah, think on that for a while.

Its either that or the locomotive, chaps.

Only if it's a real one. i.e. Steam

No! Hell no!

And what pray tell is wrong with steam?

Steam locomotives? Everything.

Well man spit it out! Lets not play guessing games here!

Have you ever been on a working steam locomotive?

Not while its running.

I have.

Didja get to be the shovelman?

No the engine had a working feed system. I do believe when Dad

Fired
steam on the L&N they had "stokers" that hand fed the coal if the
feed broke or didn't work.

Originally an operating crew would be the engineer, firemen, and

if
they had cars, a conductor and brakemen for every x numbers of

cars
on the territory. Stokers were not really members of "the crew",

but
worked under the direction of the Locomotive Firemen. The

Engineer
operated the locomotive and was responsible for the trains safe
operation. The Conductor was in charge of cars and the contents,
there of and the assignment and positioning of his brake men. The
brakes on the train were set (by hand) at the direction of the
engineer. (all those whistle signals.)

Then the airbrakes came about, the need for multiple brakemen for

number of cars.

Yeah..."improvements" to the system cut manpower. now all you have

is
one or two people per train trying to stay awake.
So much for "progress".

You don't know the half of it...

The roundhouse up in essex was taken down and people lost jobs.
Every time theres some manpower saving device, people loose jobs.
Eventually we'll all sit at home or whatever and the robots will
do everything.

Yep and if things don't done exactly right...

Well the last big accident in the news was the guy on a cell phone in
Los Angeles or nearby and that was *human* error.
The robots cant do much worse.

They are very dirty (producing soot and ash. Very noisy.

(usually
about 90-105 dB. They get louder under full power)

Yeap. Coal fired mostly.

One coal and everything else was oil.

Leave us not forget *wood*...it was plentiful once across the
country.

Most all locomotive engineers from the steam era were deaf.

and
suffered breathing problems.

My granpa was one

So was mine, and so was my Dad.

Go Union!

However That wasn't how it worked. Grandad worked the Rock Island

St
Louis to Sikeston he retired at 65 with something like 50 years

of
service. Pop worked for the L&N @ Cleveland, Tn. Then he came

west
during WW2. He went to work for the SP and retired with 45+ years

of
combined service. There was 20 months of military service, and he

was
discharged because of heart murmur.

Still...back in the day...those *were* good jobs.
At least you had some security.
Downsizing wasn't the norm. Now, its "oh ****, the passenger load

has
dropped off by 5%, lets fire a bunch of people and cut service".

up until about 1990 there was a seasonal flow. As the business

would
ebb people in operating crafts would be cut off/layed off. Then
called back in senority order. Some would stick around and others
would find work eslewhere and wouldn't come back. Around here lots

of
kids put themselves through college working all summer for the RR

and
then getting cut off right up until the xmas rush. Then they would

be
cutoff until the summer. here is even an area where they kids would
work only the weekends getting cut off every monday morning and
called back every friday night.

Part timers get no bennies, sure.

If they worked one day a month... they had the health bennies. almost
everyone worked one day a month. the only time I didn't was, away on
Active Military Duty or when I was off injured on duty. I still got
bennies then.

Well...obviously I know absolutely nothing about this subject.
Not that it would stop me

It would generally take a person 5-7 years before they could work
year round. 10-12 before they could work regular jobs on a temporay
basis. and 20 plus to hold any sort of regular job on a year round
basis.

Railroad reschedual work on a need be basis (within the scope of

the
union contracts) so their is a big degree of non-control. They are
subject tot he demands and needs of the shippers.

Floriduh just gave CSX a big huge contract.

good

bad for the everglades or something, iirc.
or it takes from the general fund and the poor need the money more.

Deaf as hell but no breathing problems...he didnt know who the

****
was
later since he was all alzheimersy & stuff.

My dad died from lung cancer (both Small Cell Carcinoma and
Metastasized melanoma.

Bummer...the smoke was it?

Asbestos and/or smoke.

Me-so-thee-lee-oh-ma.
nods

You got it.

Well I hope not

I hope so too. ugly way to go.

Libby Montana knows a thing or two about aSSbest0s...
**** WR Grace to hell.

Most all locomotive engineers from the diesel era still

suffer
hearing loss. Most all operating employees for railroads

with
more
than 10 years of service have some hearing loss. About ten

years
ago
the railroads started losing lawsuits over hearing losses

and
started
a hearing conservation program. Too bad it was 27 years too

late.

YEah...back in the day it was a macho job and you didnt **** &

moan
about the conditions.

The ****ed and moaned even then. I've listen to those guys all

my
life.

no...they laughed at management...but as for crying about the
conditions?

Yep the ****ed and moaned about that too.

Well yer fambly wasn't "stoic" then.

all to often the conditions were what you could make them. the
trouble is most of the people were content to work in substandard
conditions.

After the union busting in Bisbee Arizona in 1910 or

so...sure...beats getting
put on box cars, taken into the desert, and shot by thugs.

So much for freedom taken for granted, isn't it.

Union busting was a violent and oft forgotten part of american history.
Trying to organise could get you killed, back in the day.

No real railroader would complain "its too tough".

Being gone most of the time? Missing their families? If it wasn't

for
the "good money", they would have left.

My grandpa was lucky then. He worked one line and was home often
enough...GNRY.

Dad was gone from home about 60% of the nights. The road work had a
layover at the away from home point. It was almost like a second

home
for him.

Did he have a second wife?

Only after he divorced his 1st wife.

Ouch.

Today the railroad has cut
its pay for new hires to 30%. Wages have effectively dropped

since
1985 to about 65% of what they were compared to pre-1985. The
employees with seniority (like me) have made up for this by just
working trips. I now work 25 days a month compared to the 18-19

days
I worked before 1985. The cry was a demand for more productivity.

the
Grace commission of Ronnie agreed. The funny thing is while
productivity went up wages decreased. The number of working

employees
decreased and got the average age increased. this increased the
health care costs and over the next 4 contracts the carriers

cried
about the increases to health care cost. (the fact the employees
health care increases because of increase of work stress also was
ignored.)

I ****ing hated Reagan.
His passing made me smile

The only thing was he never felt the pain he caused. The idiot

would
cut firewood for fun. did he realize his actions created a group of
people that were cutting firewood just to feed their families.

He lived in a lovely 1950's family show that played in his head.
The world to him was just one big Leave It to Beaver episode.

or Father Knows Best. I think he felt himself more like Ozzie Nelson.
If you watch the way he spoke, it was much of the same phrase tempo.

Some of the nicest people are really assholes.

^_^

Biggest complaints from crews which still use those 1st and

2nd
generation locomotives, noise and exhaust fumes in the cab.

Ever seen a track weasel?

I seen just about everything. including the look on a kids face

just
after he finally looked up and saw the locomotive, just before

it
hit
him.

Ugh. Musta been a deaf kid.

Nope, listening to his ipod at full volume.

Holy shnikeies!!!

I just said "****!"

Sad.

It was.

When the conductor and brakemen went back to look, then found his
Ipod laying near the impact sight, still playing at full volume.
He was listening to some sort of Rap.

ZOMGZ! I *knew* it! "Rap kills".

That's a valid assumption.

It wasn't the train that killed him, it was the Rap!

Ipods are dangerous and should be banned.
nods

Well, I use an mp3 player to feed my music selections into the Car or
Boats music player. I have an 80 gb device. It also works as a spare
back-up. stores my Navigation Maps/RIS files.

Counseled use.

User beware doing *this* could result in *bad* things.

Ban in-car video screens in the front seat area.
OOPS! There goes the OnStar screen in moms caddy.

--
http://www.bds-palestine.net/?q=node/9