Old September 25th 20, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad Alston[_2_]

Default 1970s glider operation Henderson NV

On Friday, September 25, 2020 at 11:26:22 AM UTC-6, Jim S wrote:

This leads me to a question, does anybody remember this operation and more importantly the man who operated it?
Talking with SSA, they believe it was Dick McKnight.
D.M. operated out of Boulder City and not Henderson as far as I know. Here is the other kicker... my Dad came home not too long after my ride and said the glider pilot and his wife perished while maneuvering at low altitude in a C180. SSA folks said D.M. lived to be a ripe old age.
So there is the mystery.

I’ve always wondered who this pilot was... the glider flight is a vivid memory for me.

I showed up on the scene in 1977 and was not aware of an operation out of Henderson's Sky Harbor airport at that time. So, the Henderson operation could have disappeared before 1977. I left the area in 1981.

Dick McKnight was indeed the operator out of the Boulder City airport...as that is where I flew from, occassionally being able to trade time washing the tow plane trading from some time in his gliders. Anyone who knows Dick, a former WWII glider veteran, knows he was a great guy with lots of character. Loved sitting and talking with him about anything. Loved flying out of the old airport too. I believe Dick did live for some time beyond when the Boulder City, now called Bould City Municipal, airport moved to its current location and the glider operation disappeared.

For some interesting Bould City airport history, see http://www.placesthatwere.com/2016/0...t-airport.html

I hope you are able to solve your mystery!

Brad.