Old September 27th 04, 08:22 PM
Kirk Stant

(glider4) wrote in message . com...
Kirk,
Lighten up! The Reno Air races may not be your cup of tea but it does
generate public interest in aviation. Interest in general aviation
helps us counter crazy Congressmen who would lock the skies from any
GA aircraft - gliders included! Barron Hilton, who sponsors the Hilton
Cup for us glider types, is also a big supporter of the Reno Air
Races. Also, one of our own glider pilots, Dave Morss, one a Silver
race at Reno this year. Stead was a nice place to soar from in the
past and the folks there are still friendly when you land-out there.
If the Air Races help to keep that airport open and in good repair
then I'm all for them!
Al Thomas
"4"

Relax, I have nothing against the Reno Air Races, having attended many
of them starting in the 70s and even crewed for Ray Cote's Formula 1
team a long time ago. I've got Bob Hoover's signature on a program to
prove it!

It's the Red Bull "race" that I think is totally bogus.

It's a marketing scheme disguised as an "extreme sport".

But if it draws the crowds and helps pay the bills, then I guess it
has it's place - not that anybody is going to ask my opinion!

BTY, we had our last official ASA race weekend, and on Saturday the
winning speed was 88 mph over 262 miles! Not bad for late September.
I only managed 75 mph over 230 miles for 4th place - someday I'll
learn to read clouds better (sigh).

Kirk