Old December 6th 05, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default PMA Questions

"Mike Granby" wrote in message oups.com...

Thanks to everyone for their replies. The reason I brought this up is
that I am engaged in a discussion with someone on a Pipers discussion
group, and he is asserting that a PMAed part can be installed without
further approval or paperwork, whether or not the PMA was obtained as a
result of identicality, or as a result of an STC. My understanding that
was that STCed parts needed a 337 and an IA, and that the PMA had
nothing to do with it, other than meeting the requirements of 21.303
for offering parts for sale.

Yes, the STC requires the 337 for installation on the airframe in question, but the maintenance of that STC can be done
just like any other maintenance; install OEM, PMA or owner produced parts signed off by an A&P.