Old September 24th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Kobra

Default Getting an IFR Clearance

Why assume that the controller is trying to get back at you? You may have
wanted a route that he couldn't easily accommodate immediately, so whether
you
were on the ground or in the air, you'd have to wait for that route.

Because when you depart VFR you are at an altitude that does not conflict
with IFR traffic and therefore he could have allowed me to continue on
course under VFR flight following until there was no conflict and then
either activated my flight plan or handed me off to the next controller if
he couldn't open it. Further, when McGuire releases you they always clear
you northeast to RBV VOR first, then V276, then DIXIE intersection and THEN
V16 southwest bound. Therefore, when I called up in the air, I was in a
completely different area at a completely different time then if they had
released me when requested. The chances of having a conflict there as well
is possible, but I would say not probable.

Kobra